But you'd never know it because I have NO pictures of the day. It's such a bummer too, because it was a great party and I loved so many of the details.
Invitations: I inflated balloons (but didn't tie them), wrote all the party details on the balloon and then let the air out. I taped them to cards that said "Big Sis is 5" and on the inside a simple, and very obvious, "inflate balloon for party details."
Decor: I didn't do a whole lot for this party as I was doing this on a budget ($150 tops for the whole party). On the sidewalk leading up to the front door, the Mister wrote a happy birthday message to her in chalk. I also found some small pinwheels at the Dollar Tree, picked up two three packs, tied a balloon to each and stuck them in the ground up the walkway. I also got a super cute, vintage looking blue suitcase (for $1.35 at Goodwill WOOHOO!) to display the UP! Adventure books that were part of the party favors. Books were found here and I printed them out on glossy paper in color. These came out GREAT and so many of the moms were as excited as the kids to get them!
Activities: We did a bounce house, which is the easy default for a kids party and was a great choice for this party. Even me, my MIL and mom got in on the bouncing fun! I also had the idea to do a pinata alternative, so I blew up a bunch of balloons, inserted a numbered piece of paper in each one and taped them to a board we had in the garage. Because we didn't want to use darts with the kiddos, we gave each kid a sharpened pencil, and they popped the balloon of their choice. The number in the balloon corresponded to one of the goodie bags (also displayed in adorable, aforementioned blue suitcase) each of which was filled with different kinds of goodies found at the Dollar Tree. The bags were just bright yellow gloss looking bags also from DT tied with some red curling ribbon I had on hand. Each bag had a ring pop, small bag of M&Ms and a few other candies (all remnants from the numerous Easter Egg Hunts my kiddos participated in...Shhhh!), some glow sticks and a few other fun toys like whoopie cushions, tattoos, slinkys, silly string, etc.
Food: Because our party was at 3pm on a Sunday, we didn't serve a full meal. Instead, we had chips and dip (I HIGHLY recommend Lays Garden Tomato & Basil chips!), marshmallows dipped in white chocolate and sprinkles, popcorn served in paper cones and fruit with cool whip/vanilla pudding dip. We had drinks for the kids and adults but the crowning jewel of the party was the 6 layer rainbow cake! I "frosted" it only with cool whip and did a border around the top of Skittles. The cake was easily 6-8 inches tall and there were definite "oohs" and "ahhhhs" when I cut into it. Definitely worth the hassle, and now I can cross this off of my 101 list!
The whole party was probably right at about 2 hours, and as I mentioned, it cost less than $150 for everything, including the bounce house rental (delivery and pick up included). As much as I stressed about it, the party came out perfectly and other than not getting any pictures, it was exactly what I was hoping for.
So, now we are one kid down, two to go!!
No comments:
Post a Comment