background

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Starting School: A letter to my kids

Today, I'm writing letters to two of my three kids who started school this week. 

Dear Z,

I cannot believe the time has finally come.  A new era in our family began when you started Kindergarten yesterday.  You were so excited and talked all about it, and you looked so cute in the outfit you picked out.  We walked up to your school and you never faltered or hesitated, but I had to fight back the tears several times. 

As we walked down the halls to your room, you asked me to hold your hand and you told me how you couldn't wait for school.  Approaching your room, you slowed down a bit, and told me "Mom, I know I'm going to do lots of cool things, but my stomach is saying don't go in there."  I encouraged you and then distracted you and before I knew it, I was giving you a few last kisses and goodbyes and there was my baby, a kindergartener telling me "I'm so proud of you too Mom" and then I was off.  I walked outside, called Grandma Di and cried happy and sad tears. 

When we picked you up after school, you were so excited and happy and had a great day and already some stories to tell.  You were looking forward to school and I couldn't have been happier that you seemed to love it. 

Today, when I dropped you off, you were such a big girl.  Waving goodbye and blowing a kiss, then turning and running as fast as you could in your cute little rainboots to the front door of the school.  I was proud of you, scared for you, nervous and excited all at the same time and now at work I'm crying as I write this. 

Z, you are my pride and joy, the best big sister and firstborn I could have imagined.  I have so many hopes and dreams for you and I can't wait to see you accomplish and surpass all of them.  I love you so much, happy start of school.

Love,
Mom

******************************
Dear I,

Today I took you to preschool for the first time and you surprised me by getting a little upset and crying as I was leaving.  I sometimes forget that you're only 3 and that sometimes you still get scared or need your momma.  You're such a sweet boy with a great big heart and I love to see you explore and go on adventures.  I know you'll make friends at school and will soon get upset when I show up to take you home.  You make me happy to be your momma, and I can't wait to see how you change and grow this year. 

I love you and wish you the best at school. 

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment