background

Thursday, March 17, 2011

101 in 1001

I've seen a lot of people around blogland create their 101 in 1001 list or Day Zero list and I've always wanted to do one, but never seemed to have the time to sit down and compile it.  Today I decided to procrastinate no longer and write out my list of the 101 things I want to do in the next 1001 days.  Some are silly, some are serious.  Some are my own ideas, some are inspired/stolen from other lists I've looked at.  But hopefully all will be done by December 12, 2013.  I haven't really decided what I'll do for the ones not completed, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.


First, some information...


The Challenge:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.


The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on your part).


Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple challenges such as New Year's resolutions or a 'Bucket List'. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips, study semesters, or outdoor activities.


Start date: March 17, 2011
End date: December 12, 2013


1. Pay off all credit card debt.
2. Turn 30 gracefully and without anxiety/fear/self-pity.
3. Take the family to Disney World.
4. Plant a garden.
5. Incorporate foods from garden into family meals.
6. Sew a complete outfit for each child.
7. Try 5 new (to me) restaurants.
8. Host a dinner party.
9. Host a Mother's day tea/brunch.
10. Learn how to edit photos.
11. Take up a new hobby.
12. Write and send 5 handwritten letters/cards.
13. Make digital copies of all important documents.
14. Attend a live music show of the Mister’s choosing.
15. Read one book a month.
16. Run and complete a 5K.
17. Go to a Cowboys, Mavs, Stars and Rangers game.
18. Drop one clothes size.
19. Host a major holiday dinner.
20. Start and regularly contribute to savings accounts for the kids college.
21. Create a will.
22. Go 1 week without spending money.
23. Get my teeth whitened.
24. Get laser surgery to correct my eyesight.
25. Take a trip with just the girls.
26. Create a list of 25 things I love about myself.
27. Research my family history, including medical issues.
28. Do at least 2 dates a month for a year.
29. Have family portraits done.
30. Write a letter to my children on their birthdays and save it.
31. Convert all my CDs to digital.
32. Find a personally inspirational quote and use it in art or home decor.33. Mail something to PostSecret.
34. Have all my too-long pants professional altered.
35. Have my makeup done professionally.
36. Go to a sushi restaurant.
37. Link up a project/post to at least 5 of my blog idols.
38. Tour the U.S. Mint.
39. Floss everyday for a month.
40. Buy 1 piece of lingerie that I really love.
41. Go to a drive in movie.
42. Make homemade jam.
43. Make flavor infused olive oil.
44. Learn to knit.
45. Give up sugar for one full week.
46. Learn how to use power tools properly.
47. Have pics done of just the Mister and me.
48. Tip 50% for exceptional service.
49. Compile at least 5 recipes from each of my Grandmas.
50. Make all 15 of those recipes.
51. Wear fake eyelashes.
52. Make a wreath for each season.
53. Travel to Puerto Rico.
54. Take a trip with just the Mister and me.
55. See a musical put on by my high school.
56. Join a local co-op.
57. Go 1 week without hitting snooze.
58. Sing in front of the Mister.
59. Go 1 week without complaining.
60. Complete a 30 day photo challenge.
61. Watch 10 classic movies I've never seen.
62. See a movie in 3D.
63. Attend a midnight premier of a movie.
64. Have dinner by candlelight.
65. Print out pics of us and the kids and hang them up.
66. Make a multi-layer rainbow cake.
67. Make a playlist of 101 of my favorite songs.
68. Perform a Chinese fire drill.
69. Develop a system to remind me of important dates.
70. Learn how to say "I love you" in 5 different languages.
71. Take a nap in a hammock.
72. Influence someone to make a 101 in 1001 list.
73. Talk to Dad about his life experiences.
74. Meet a celebrity.
75. Ride a mechanical bull.
76. Get rid of all my old bras and underwear and start from scratch.
77. Learn how to french braid.
78. Take 10 one day breaks from the Internet.
79. Reach 101 posts on my blog.
80. Go pre-dawn shopping on Black Friday.
81. Learn how to ask for a raise, even if I don't ever actually do it.
82. Visit 5 states I've never been to.
83. Read to the kids every night for a month straight.
84. Buy a quality business suit.
85. Go to a Cirque du Soliel show.
86. Pay for the person behind me in line at the drive-thru.
87. Start a holiday tradition.
88. Take Mom and Dad out to a nice dinner.
89. Write my name in the sand.
90. Send 3 care packages to my brother working overseas in Iraq.
91. Organize all my photos into albums.
92. Buy a live lobster and cook it.
93. Go sledding.
94. Go skiing.
95. Go to a film festival.
96. Buy a new washer and dryer set.
97. Write a letter to a politician.
98. Splurge on a piece of clothing.
99. Learn to bite my tongue and not criticize others.
100. Look into being a surrogate or egg donor.
101. Blog about each item when done.

So there you have it.... I'm going to get to work right away!

1 comment:

  1. Yayyy! Can't wait to follow along as you start crossing things off your list :)

    ReplyDelete