My husband has an aversion to anything vinegar, including regular, apple cider and balsamic, but he gobbled the chicken right up without a second thought. Yep, it's that good! One thing to note, this recipe makes a lot of marinade so I'd suggest either reducing this down or even better, doing two meals at once.
Vinegar Chicken Marinade
(recipe modified from allrecipes.com)
You will need:
2 whole/roaster chickens
1 egg
1 C. vegetable oil
2 C cider vinegar (OR 1 C regular and 1 C cider vinegar as I did)
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Preparing the marinade:
Rinse the chickens inside and out, blot dry and set aside. Crack the egg into a bowl and whisk until beaten. A bit at a time, whisk in the oil. When fully blended, whisk in the vinegar, salt, garlic powder, poultry seasoning and pepper. Divide the marinade into two freezer bags, place one chicken into each bag, squeeze out all the air then seal.
Cooking the chicken:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I prefer to roast my chicken in a glass casserole so that I can easily baste with the juices. If you want to put any herbs, vegetables or lemons into the cavity of the chicken, do so now. I only had red onions at the time, so I stuffed those inside, then covered the chicken with foil. Roast at 350 for about an hour then remove the foil, baste the chicken all over with the juices and let cook for another 20 or so minutes. At this point, mine was okay but please use a meat thermometer to be sure.
Once I removed the chicken, I let it sit for a couple of minutes to allow the juices to redistribute. When I did, I noticed that the skin wasn't as browned as I like, so I stuck the chicken under the broiler for about 5 more minutes. It bubbled a bit, but didn't actually crisp, so if you like crispy skin you could probably leave it under there longer.
When it was browned enough for my liking, I took it out, let it sit for about 5-10 minutes more then sliced into it.... oh man this meat was delicious! The meat was flavorful and juicy and retained a bit of the tang of the vinegary marinade. I usually don't eat white meat because I think it's too dry, but I tried some yesterday and this marinade has made a white meat believer out of me!

Oh that sounds good. I really need to do more freezer meals- it would make my life easier and saving money is always a necessity.
ReplyDeleteDo you thaw the chicken prior to baking? If so, do you put the thawed chicken along with the marinade in the casserole dish and bake it or do you drain off the marinade? Thanks.
ReplyDeletethat sounds delish! I am getting ready to do freezer meals and this one is going to be in it!
ReplyDeleteHi Jacque- I do usually thaw the chicken before cooking, but I have gone straight from freezer to oven in a pinch. The only real difference that I've noticed is sometimes the meat close to the bone gets a bit dark when I cook it that way, but there is no difference in taste. I don't usually cook it in the marinade, because I do reuse the marinade a second time. I'm really not sure if that's okay to do, but (knock on wood!) we've been okay so far ;)
ReplyDelete