I don't quite know where the time has gone, but here again is Monday and here again is another late post on my 30 Day Mom Challenge.
Day 10: Today's mom focus: Joy.
Do you ever notice that when you take time away from your kids and focus on yourself for a day, you are a better mom for it? There's something about enjoying peace and quiet that makes the loudness and chaos seem pretty okay. On Saturday, I had scheduled a day out with some girls from a church group that we lead. We had a nice lunch and got pedicures but just the few hours away gave me time to recharge. I think as moms, especially those of us who work outside the home, sometimes we feel we need to love being with our kids every minute of the day. I'm just going to be honest here... there are some weekends when Monday can't come soon enough! I love my kids and each of them are so special and have their own unique traits, but three kids can sometimes mean three times the whining, fighting, etc. Taking a few hours for myself on Saturday gave me the chance to find joy in just being myself. Remembering things that I love to do by myself also makes me a better mom to my kids. I'm less stressed, I'm more fun to be around and I have a lot more confidence in myself.
Day 11: Tell your child "I'm so glad you're my son/daughter." I love this one because I think it makes a child feel so special. I try to do this pretty often, and with our oldest showing an increased interested in family structure lately, we get to tell their birth stories on a regular basis. They aren't perfect kids, but they are perfect for us!
Day 12: Pray for wisdom in mothering your child. I'd like to add that I also added "patience" in there as well hehe! But in all seriousness, raising kids (especially girls IMO) in this world today is really challenging. If I had a chance to erase all the effects of Disney/Princesses, MTV and reality shows I would do so in a heartbeat. I'm proud that I have a confident little girl who is just as comfortable digging up worms outside as she is dressing up in fancy clothes and playing tea party but I realize that we may have some challenging years ahead. As for my son, he's a sensitive boy and hasn't yet learned to stand up for himself to other kids. I pray that his sweet nature doesn't change but that he learns how to balance it with toughness when needed . As for the baby, I know that the choices we make in the early years will determine a lot of her personality and disposition, so we need wisdom to give her the best possible foundation we can. The good thing is that the Mister and I both know where our guidance and help comes from- we can't do it alone!
No comments:
Post a Comment