background

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Day 6: 30 Day Mom Challenge

Day 6: Bake, make or buy them their favorite food.

My kids are always pretty easy to please with food.  The two that talk are especially cute when they declare (almost nightly) "Mom, this is the best dinner ever!"  Last night, I wanted to make them a dinner that they would gobble right up and be excited about, so I made their favorite meat "chicken on the bone."  I have no idea where they learned this from, but everytime we serve any sort of chicken leg, they go all Viking on us and wave their chicken leg in the air while yelling "Bone-ay!"  Strange, I know, but also hilarious!

After dinner they helped me make our homemade Clif bars, something they love both before and after baking.  We made them with dried fruits and chocolate chips and ate them warm and gooey from the oven for a delicious before bed treat.  :)

And just so that I can share the deliciousness- here's our recipe.

Homemade Clif Bars
  • 2 cups quick cooking oats

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar

  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries 

  • 1/2 cup flax seed 

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut 

  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil

  • 1/2 cup maple syrup 

  • few tablespoons honey (to taste)

  • 2 eggs

  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract


    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and spray with vegetable oil spray.
    2. In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl, thoroughly blend wet ingredients then pour into the flour mixture and mix by hand until the liquid is evenly distributed. Press evenly into the prepared baking pan.
    3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are golden. Cool completely in pan before turning out onto a cutting board and cutting into bars.
    Enjoy, I know we did!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment